Ravioli with Pomodoro Sauce
4 fresh Roma tomatoes
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium yellow onion (diced)
3 garlic cloves (diced)
1 tbsp dried Oregano
28 oz San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
20 oz package fresh ravioli
½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small pot bring 3 cups of water to a low boil. Cut a small “X” at the top of each Roma tomato. Place in the pot of low boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes. After the 3-4 minutes place tomatoes into a large bowl filled with water and ice. Then at “X” slowly peel outer skin off of the tomato. Repeat for rest of tomatoes. Cut each tomato into quarters.
- Place 7-8 cups of water in large pot and heat over medium/high heat.
- Pour can of tomatoes into large bowl, with hands mash tomatoes until each tomato is mashed. Set aside.
- Over medium/high heat pour olive oil into medium pot, add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté.
- Add fresh tomatoes to onions and garlic. Cover and cook over medium/high heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 25 minutes, pour in bowl of mashed tomatoes, cover and continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place tomato contents into heat safe blender and puree to desired consistency. (This step is optional. Tomatoes may be left in sauce without blending), Pour contents back into pot.
- Add 3 large leaves of fresh basil to tomato mixture and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, when large pot of water begins to boil, add heaping tablespoon of salt and add ravioli (cook according to package directions).
- Once al dente, add pasta (using kitchen spider strainer) to tomato sauce. Top with parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Add crushed red pepper flakes to individual serving, if desired. Enjoy.